Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tips: Getting A Job In Make-Up/Freelance

Hey Ladies,

I have been brainstorming/working on for this post for quite some time now so I apologize for the lack of regular posts. I thought for once I should do a really in depth post on my tips for getting a job in make-up, be it on a make-up counter or freelance. I qualified from my make-up artistry course in May 2011 and up until this August I have been working hard at advancing my skills and applying for various jobs. One of the toughest things about being a make-up artist is getting work and finally I am where I want to be, as I am working on counter and a freelance make-up artist.

Here are some of my tips on finding available jobs, succeeding in interviews, strengthening your skills and increasing your freelance client list. Hopefully you will find something here helpful as god knows it has taken me long enough to get it right and I am still learning!

The Job Hunt

  • Just finished college or a course? It's time to get active while you are still a student. Check with your college if there is any available work experience or support system to help you out once you are gone! This will open doors and give you valuable work experience that will make your CV look fantastic.
  • Build your CV/ Portfolio. Using your new qualification do up a new CV that will impress your future employers, Google will be your guide for layouts and what content builds a good CV. If in doubt contact your college guidance councillor/course tutor and ask them to throw their eye over it, they have years of experience and will help you make it the best it can be. Your portfolio should also be on the agenda, make sure to get a nice folder and start collecting all of your recent images. It should mainly be just the images that show your skills and are of a professional quality, your portfolio will build over time. 
  • Job websites will be your best friend if you are looking for full/part time work. Lately I have noticed a big reduction in the amount of counters that will take in CV's. I have made a list of the basic job websites that you may find helpful. 
www.jobs.ie
www.esteelauder.jobs
www.boots.jobs/ireland/
www.brownthomas.com/careers
www.jobs.beautifuljobs.ie
www.iftn.ie/jobs/
www.careers-at-benefit.com
www.arnotts.ie/content/Careers-at-Arnotts/2509
  • Recruitment agencies may also be quite helpful but I am unsure of how helpful they are as I have never been through one. 
  • FAS is also a really good option for anyone who is really struggling. They are always there to help with a job search, course options or a helping hand with a CV. 
Freelancing, be your own boss! 
  • It's a big scary world out there when you are starting off as a make-up artist. If you feel your not ready or don't have the confidence, why not look into another course? In the beginning I did some FAS courses called CBT and Steps which were a real confidence boost and make you look at everything with such optimism. They were only a week long and were completely free and to be honest I don't think I would be able to do half the things I do if I didn't do those courses! I have added them to my CV and in interviews I mention them because employers seem to love it. Get in touch with your local FAS for more info. 
  • Business cards are VITAL! It is very cheap to get business cards printed up and you can choose your own design and details. These come in handy all the time in my opinion. When someone comments on your make-up or asks what you do simply hand them a business card, which means they have a way of contacting you and you are memorable. 
  • Social media will be invaluable in finding freelance work. Setting up a Facebook and Twitter for your freelance business will make you known to everyone, especially the people who didn't know you were a make-up artist. If you put up some pictures of your work it gives your future clients a great idea of what you do and not to mention your services/prices! 
  • Blogs! I have met many friends through blogging and even some clients. Why not set up your own blog? In every interview I have done in the last year I have mentioned my blog and my god do they love to hear about it. It shows you have confidence, oodles of product knowledge and can be yourself in a creative environment. 
Limbo! 
  • Sometimes when things really slow down it can feel like you are in limbo! Never give up because you never know when opportunity may come knocking! 
  • Never ever say "No" to a job unless you really cannot do it, because it could be the door to more work or a possible job. 
  • Be prepared to work for free. Once your on your own it is very difficult to get someone in the industry (i.e. a photographer, stylist, etc...) to give you paid work, often it will just be work experience. Why not email some photographers you know or better yet a photographer who is also just starting out and ask them if they will do a trade. You can do the make-up for their shoots and you get images in return, this is a fantastic way of building your portfolio and getting to know various photographers. 
  • Connections are key! You never know who could help you out in getting work, be it freelance or on a counter. In the beginning of my career, my friends were relentless in recommending me to family and friends which meant I got loads of weekend work. Establish connections with anyone and everyone, even make-up counters because you never know where a word of mouth might leave you! 
The Pay-Off 
  • In the end what you put in, you'll get out. If you work hard the industry could take you to amazing places or provide you with an amazing job, don't expect to be handed work. I always find that things are much more rewarding when you have done them all by yourself! 


Love, 
S

4 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely you never know where you could end up after a conversation. They could potentially become your employer!

      Delete